We were asked to design and build an innovative interactive birding reference guide based on a market-leading field guide, renowned for the quality of its rich visual identification system. The guides had to take print-medium copy and assets, re-architect, re-imagine and redisplay in a way that took advantage of the mobile platform. Our client didn't want a wrapped-PDF, they wanted instead to produce an interactive reference guide that was class-leading.
We designed and built native, CoreData-backed iPhone and iPad interactive guides which augmented the rich graphical illustrations in the original guides with interactive annotations, supplementary information and audio clips.
- Our client was able to launch and market a leading app to critical acclaim and commercial success.
- The app won awards in its category including Best Outdoors App in the Best App Ever Awards.
- Apple featured the app in the nature segment during the introductory video of the iPad Air Keynote.
- Our knowledge of the graphics frameworks on iOS enabled us to implement visual effects not previously seen in an app of this type.
- We delivered a publishing mechanism to allow several subsets of the core material to be published into different app sets and created an app blueprint for other guides across the IP.
- Objective-C iOS
Agile Project Management
Mobile Software Development